Taranaki school closes after 'unstable' chemical spill in science lab

Tuesday 1:39pm
Fire and Emergency NZ said it had responded to a "chemical causing concern" in the suburb of Welbourn at around 9am on Tuesday.

New Plymouth Boys' High School was "partially evacuated" and later closed for the remainder of the day, while a nearby section of State Highway 3 closed after a chemical spill in a science classroom this morning.

Fire and Emergency NZ said it had responded to a "chemical causing concern" in the suburb of Welbourn at around 9am on Tuesday.

"We have not taken action, but are standing by at the scene till it can be taken over by the Defence Force who will offer further assistance," a spokesperson said.

Headmaster Sam Moore said the school had been partially evacuated due to the "discovery of an unstable chemical in a science laboratory".

"Everyone at school is safe, and there is no danger to any person on site.

"However, as a precaution, the school's Board of Trustrees had decided to close the school from 12pm as we are unable to run normal classes due to the NZ Defence [Force] having to travel from out of town to remove the chemical safely."

Moore said all students unable to return home would remain supervised at school until 3.10pm, while all hostel students would remain at school.

"The safety of our staff and students remains our priority."

NZTA said a section of State Highway 3 in front of the school had been closed.

"The chemical spill has been cleared, and the road is now OPEN," it said in a later update.

New Plymouth Boys' High School currently has a roll of around 1540 students, with around 190 odd boarders.

The New Zealand Defence Force has been contacted for comment.

The morning's headlines in 90 seconds, including an exploding boat wakes Aucklanders, and the Everest climbers stuck in their tent during an avalanche. (Source: Breakfast)

SHARE ME

More Stories